What is backup and restore?
The back-up and restore solutions allow companies to significantly improve their data protection activities and to implement a huge range of services. This is applicable even for those companies that generate large data volumes.
- The backup and restore processes are performed faster - reduce to a minimum the backup and key application restoration time frames in order to minimize the impact on the availability degree of the entire system
- Risk reduction - rapid and precise restoration of data based on the redundant equipment offered by Star Storage
- Increased control - protect the critical data based on certain clear retention policies
- Increased efficiency for the IT department - optimize the IT personnel workload and improve productivity
- Cost reduction - adapt the infrastructure requirements according to the value of the information stored by deploying hierarchical storage policies
The remote backup solutions (next generation back-up) offered by Star Storage are designed to protect data generated within branches and subsidiaries in a simple and efficient manner. In this case, the deduplication of data, before they are transferred through the network, considerably reduces the bandwidth required for the backup process.
Data replication can be carried out in two ways, according to the established connection, the data volume which needs to be transferred and the distance between locations:
- synchronous replication - this means that, at any given time, the same data are present in both locations - every time the data are modified in the primary location, this modification is automatically replicated to the secondary location.
- asynchronous replication - the replication of modifications carried out upon the data are transmitted to the second location at definite moments in time. The asynchronous replication is not limited by distance as opposed to the synchronous replication.
- Easy use - intuitive interfaces for users, minimization of human intervention in the process, reduction of the backup time frames and the possibility to rapidly run the data restoration processes.
- Cost reduction -elimination of costs related to the management of the infrastructure distributed by magnetic tapes, the additional space necessary for the secondary storage and the bandwidth required for the backup processes.
- Flexible deployment - chose only the deduplication software application or a preconfigured software/hardware solution developed by the Star Storage specialists
- Centralized management - standardize the processes, policies and control avoiding, at the same time, to contact the less specialized personnel within the subsidiaries or braches for carrying out the traditional backup on tape procedures.
- Security - the encryption of data and the possibility to continuously check their recovery status and the elimination of the risk related to the transport of magnetic tapes.
Back-up with deduplication
These solutions have been developed in order to deal with the increasing data volume by identifying and eliminating redundant data before starting the backup process. Maximum reduction of the necessary storage capacity and optimization of the entire backup system performances are thus achieved.
- Reduction of the necessary storage capacity - save up to 98% of the storage space and carry out the data backup and restoration at speeds increased by up to 90%
- Flexible deployment - you can choose the source or destination deduplication, according to your specific needs
- Reduction of the bandwidth - reduce the impact on the IT infrastructure by transferring a volume reduced by 98% compared to the traditional backup methods
- Deployment of clear deduplication policies - optimize the backup process by configuring the data deduplication policies during the backup process or at a later date.